These chocolate protein bars are gluten-free, grain-free, can easily be made vegan, and make an awesome balanced macro snack. You can make these as part of meal prep, or enjoy them as a healthy treat that tastes like dessert.
Hi friends! I hope you’re having a good week so far and I’m sending all of my prayers to our friends in Texas right now. If you’re looking for ways to help, check out this link.
The Pilot has been stuck at his crash pad for two days in the blizzard – his flights were canceled this week – but I’m thankful that he’s been safe with all of the crazy weather going on.
For today’s post, I wanted to re-share this recipe because it’s such a good one and so convenient for busy days. I love to make at least one healthy snack to have on hand each week and this is one of my faves! It tastes like dessert and is packed with protein: chocolate protein bars!
You need this in your life.
These are super easy to put together, and I love that they have a natural sweetness + awesome texture from baked sweet potato. They’re a great component for meal prep, plus are gluten-free and balanced in macros.
Here’s the recipe if you’d like to give them a try!
Chocolate Protein Bars with Sweet Potato
A delicious and healthy treat that tastes like dessert. I like to have 2 squares for a sweet, protein-dense snack. This one is gluten-free and has an awesome texture with no added fat. Check out the notes below for vegan option.
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1/3 C sweet potato flesh (from a large baked sweet potato. The canned stuff doesn’t taste as good)
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 chocolate bar, melted (can use a double-boiler if you’re feeling fancy, or a glass bowl in the microwave. Microwave the chocolate in 30 second intervals, stopping to stir in between)
- 2 scoops protein powder of choice (I used vanilla Garden of Life; chocolate would be awesome, too)
- 1/3 C brown rice flour (or any gluten-free flour)
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 t baking powder
- pinch salt
- pinch cinnamon
- Sweetener of choice if needed (maple syrup, honey, Stevia, coconut sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray a small baking dish (I used an 8×8 dish) with nonstick spray or coconut oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour mixture into the baking dish and smooth with a spatula.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the “cake” comes out clean.
- To make these vegan, make sure to use a vegan chocolate bar, and substitute 3 chia or flax eggs for the regular eggs. To make the flax or chia egg, combine 3 tablespoons of either chia or ground flax with 3 tablespoons water.
Nutrition stats can be found here. (6 servings // 88 cal per serving // 10g carb // 5g protein // 3g fat // WW smart points: 3)
Please let me know what you think. 🙂
Have a great day and I’ll see ya in the morning with Friday Faves.
Photos: Ari at Well Seasoned